Exclusive – Sound and Picture
A year passed since IS took control over Deir Ezzor. People were subjected to various types of violations, such as slaughtering, crucifying, executions and most heinous forms of torture by IS members. In addition to the displacement and migration due to the oppressive regulations and fear of the security grip imposed on the region.
The control of IS on Deir Ezzor began in July 4th, 2014 after fierce clashes with FSA in the beginning and then with Al-Nusra. The battles ended either with the withdrawal of some combat factions from Deir Ezzor and the surrounding area or with secretly doing Bai’a to IS after involving the tribes. The suffering of people began in July 2014 when IS Caliphate was announced by the Islamic state. Such suffering was represented by the following:
- Displacing a total of 30’000 residents of “Ksham and Tabya” towns in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- Displacing more than 30 thousand people in Alshahil city in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor, which is considered as the former stronghold of JAN in Syria. Their displacement lasted for 15 days in the desert. IS set a condition for their return which was to declare their repentance and surrender all their light and heavy weapons.
- Besieging Al-Shaitat clan in Deir Ezzor on three fronts. A lot of fatalities and injuries resulted from indiscriminate shelling. The clan was prevented from moving out because the area had been declared a military zone. Women, elderly and children were given 24 hours to evacuate.
- Establishing checkpoints in Shaitat nearby villages and arresting each person aged above 15 years old under the charge of fighting against IS.
- Adapting the scorched earth policy and using bombing objects in breaking into Al-Shaitat clan’s village of Granig and the town of Abu Hamam in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- Announcing a “fatwa” displacing nearly 120 thousand people of Al-Shaitat clan to neighboring villages on the pretext that they are “abstaining denomination and apostates fighting IS”. More than 10 people from the elderly were arrested for the same reason.
- Killing nearly 930 people from Al-Shaitat clan during battles with IS, in addition to dozens of fatalities and injuries among civilians as a result of clashes and indiscriminate shelling.
- Displacing the residents of “Alborahmeh, Abu Hardoub and Jerze” villages neighboring to Al-Shaitat clan in eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor on the pretext of investigating for weapons.
- Expelling the people and Seizing more than 20 house in the villages of Drenj and Shannan on the pretext of this property being a property of apostates who have fought the IS. The Organization used those houses as headquarters.
- Killing the child Maher Mohammed Awad in the village of Drenj in the eastern countryside by IS sniper.
- Executing five people and crucifying them in the village of Shannan.
- Shooting the child Rifai Mohammed Alsatm from Dranj village in eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor dead on the pretext of his participation in fighting IS.
- Arresting more than 15 people and executing four others from the family of Alassman from Al-Shaitat clan who were displaced to Salehia village in the countryside Deir Ezzor South of Euphrates River.
- Gaining full control over Al-Shaitat clan area in the middle of the month, after a battle that lasted for 21 days.
- Stealing, burning and blowing off homes and properties of Al-Shaitat after the displacement of Al-Shaitat clan. On the pretext that they are being apostates, all Al-Shaitat clan properties were seized and sold in a furniture market opened by IS.
- Arresting “Khalil Abboud Alhafel” the tribal Sheikh of Alekidat clan in estern Deir Ezzor countryside.
- Bombing and burning more than 20 houses belonging to Al-Shaitat clan in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor after stealing their contents.
- Allowing the people of Alborahmah town to return to their homes after having displaced them for more than a week on the pretext of arms inspections.
- Four people were executed and crucified in Al-Asharah Brive in the eastern Deir Ezzor countryside. One of them was known as, “Ali Alkhalaf”.
- Arresting more than 20 people in Aljalaa and Majaodah towns in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor on the pretext of their participation in fighting against IS.
- Executing more than 20 civilians in the countryside of Deir Ezzor, most of them from the Al-Shaitat clan.
- Executing Rashid Almutlaq the commander of “Gharat Allah battalion” in Al-Muhasan town after having arrested him for two months on the pretext of his participation in fighting the regime in Qalamoon without IS permission.
- Replacing the school’s curriculum with Sharia curriculum and closing all schools on October 20th, 2014.
- Arresting dozens of people in Deir Ezzor under the charge of affiliation with FSA and JAN.
- Arresting dozens of young men under various charges, such as smoking, supporting the free army, helping the regime or selling playing cards and cigarettes.
- Executing ten people and crucifying them in Alkorah in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- Lashing Two young men in the market of Abu Kamal town, and the charge was smoking.
- Breaking into women’s clinics run by male doctors in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor. The doctors were informed of the prevention of practicing the profession unless under compelling situations.
- Preventing dealing or communicating with news channels, especially the “Orient, Al-Arabia and Al Jazeera” while international news agencies such as “Reuters, France Press, and Associated Press” were allowed.
- Forcing Al-Shaitat clan representative in the village of Granig to surrender 67 pieces of “Kalashnikov” as a condition to allow people to return to their homes.
- Stoning two young men on charges of “buggery”.
- Banning working in oil primitive refineries “refining” in IS controlled areas.
- Issuing a decree banning fuel “diesel, gasoline or kerosene” transfer to the regime controlled areas (Aljora and Alqosour town). Such commodities were to be seized on IS barriers without any compensation.
- Arresting more than 15 people in Alkhosham town in Deir Ezzor countryside.
- Arresting a number of oil company employees in different parts of the countryside east of Deir Ezzor.
- All names of Al-Shaitat clan’s children in Granig town, who fought against the regime, were documented.
- Arresting a number of young men, who were members of FSA and JAN on the pretext of interrogation for any sleeper cells.
- Stoning a woman in Alhajeen town in Deir Ezzor eastern countryside.
- Stoning a man in Abu Kamal city after being charged of committing “adultery”.
- Executing ten people and crucifying them in the city of Abu Kamal in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- Arresting an internet cafe owner in Deir Ezzor following on a decision by IS enforcing the closure of all Internet cafes from 1:00 am until 10:00 am under penalty of arrest. Another cafe was closed for three days on the grounds that the shop owner did not turn off the internet transmitter during prayer.
- Shutting down shops in Grenig town because their owners refused to close during prayer.
- Three mass graves were found in Al-Shaitat clan Bedouin areas and another one in Albahra desert in eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor. The graves contained more than 350 bodies.
- Women over the age of 30 years were prevented from traveling to regime controlled areas of Deir Ezzor under any circumstances.
- Executing nine people in Sbekhan in eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- Arresting more than 15 people in Sbikhan town in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- Stoning a woman accused of “adultery” and lashing two men accused of “throwing chaste women” in Alhajeen city in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- A formal statement was issued by IS about the educational situation in the areas under IS control providing the following:
- Suspending the current teaching staff until;
First: getting done with the preparation of the new Sharia curriculum.
Second: Having all the former teachers declare their repentance .
- Banning the old curriculum, whether in public or private schools.
- Preventing students from attending schools outside the barriers of the IS controlled areas which reinforce infidel curriculums.
- He who wants to work in educational institutions – after having declared his/her repentance and had position determined by Sharia Committee – must register a personal file at the education centers to go through Sharia orientation and qualifying courses, and then they are to be assigned each according to specialty.
- violators of this decree will be held accountable before the judicial authorities and taken down to the legitimate deterrent punishment.
- A woman in Sheikh Yasin neighborhood was insulted by Abu Shaddad “A Saudi member of IS Husba” who described her “A harlot” because she was not wearing Niqab.
- More than thirty people were arrested in the city and its countryside on charges of dealing with the regime and FSA, or smoking.
- Girls in high schools in the city and Alhajeen were attacked and the students were expelled and given a warning to stay in their houses, as were directed to the educational complex to close high schools permanently and separate male and female in primary and intermediate schools.
- Allowing the return of the people to their homes in Granig and Keshkiyah towns after three months of displacement but by imposing many unjust and unfair conditions, including:
- Clan repentance at the hands of IS Sharia officers and having them announce obedience to Al-Baghdadi.
- Repudiating their children who fought IS and still fighting it after fleeing to other areas such as Kalamoon, Idlib and Aleppo.
- Giving the names of all who were dealing with them or contacting them.
- IS gets to keep the detainees in its prisons who have not been killed in addition to all people who are relatives of known Al-Shaitat clan leaders who fought in the battles against IS.
- Each family deliver a rifle, a quiver and four ammunition storages.
- IS arrested more than 10 women in the city of Abu Kamal on charges of shopping without a male relative and required the guardian of every woman before they release her.
- All schools in towns in the eastern countryside and cities of Deir Ezzor were closed until releasing IS curriculum.
- Sharia lessons were imposed on women in the city of Abu Kamal, punishing the guardian of all who refused to attend with (Lashing). The Organization worked on forming a women’s battalion to conduct women’s punishments and arrests.
- Students were prevented from going to regime controlled areas to do exams.
- Some Internet cafes were closed in the western countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- Several houses belonging to the families of martyrs in the western countryside of Deir Ezzor were seized on the pretext that the owners were killed during battles against IS.
- IS conducted a series of executions to dozens of civilians, mostly under charges of refusing to show loyalty to IS, fighting it or communicating with the regime.
- More than ten people were arrested under charges of working with FSA & JAN.
- IS confiscated more than 15 houses in Boqros village in the eastern countryside of Deir Azzor.
- IS members broke into more than 15 houses in Alhariji town in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor searching for wanted people.
- Several buses and cars travelling outside of Deir Ezzor were Inspected. University ID’s and Military service-books were taken from students heading to their universities in Al-Mayadeen city.
- Several homes belong to former FSA members were seized in Alhariji.
- IS executed Homam Lafi (Abu Alhareth Hawyej), the first investigation judge in the Islamic court of Almayadeen.
- Blockade was imposed on the neighborhoods of Jura and Alqusur, preventing the arrival of food supplies to people.
- Abu Obaida Almasri, IS’s officer of treasury and Zakat Chamber in Almayadeen city, escaped after stealing about four million dollars.
- Six people in Abu Kamal city were lashed under the charge of trespassing.
- Several arrests in the western countryside of Deir Ezzor, especially in Alonba and Alshamatia towns.
- Two classes “about 300 Al-Shaitat clan sons” were graduated from Sharia sessions, which they were forced into by IS.
- Blocking people from going to the regime-controlled areas and allowing people coming out of it to enter the IS areas.
- Two IS commanders from Almassrab village ( Omar Ashawakh and Raed Almoussa “ known as Qassoura”) were arrested after having tortured a man, forced him to drink gasoline and broken his hand.
- A new curriculum was issued to be taught in all IS controlled areas.
- A camp for children called “Ashbal Alkhilafa” was open to teach and train children to fight in Deir Ezzor.
- Teachers who did not join a Sharia orientation class were notified to join, otherwise they would be punished for violating Sharia.
- A number of shop owners were arrested and released after a short time because of their backwardness in paying Zakat.
- Martyrs’ houses were seized in Jadid Bkara town in eastern countryside east of Deir Ezzor.
- Seized cars belonging to civilians and FSA members were sold in auction.
- IS asked the Sheriff of each neighborhood in Abu Kamal city to document the names of all young men in their area in an intention to send them to fight battles in Iraq.
- Eleven families were told to evacuate their homes in less than three days
- A number of houses near IS Husba headquarters in Almayadeen city were inspected and many young men were arrested.
- Twelve young men were ran over by IS members, three of them were in a critical condition in the city of Abu Kamal.
- More checkpoints established in northern countryside villages and towns of Deir Ezzor ,carrying out inspections in pretext of searching for cigarette packs, imposing financial fine of “one hundred thousand Syrian pounds” on traders.
- Intensive patrols and raids in the countryside of Deir Ezzor to search for youths who have previously registered in camps and then withdrew from them.
- Tighten the checks on men’s clothing, especially “trousers”, and violators were forced to choose between “prison for three days or digging tunnels in battlefield.”
- Two people were executed and crucified in Alsalhia in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor.
- The house of Abdul Qadir Alayesh” FSA fighter” was seized displacing his family.
- Several houses and properties of FSA and JAN leaders and people who didn’t declare repentance were seized, as well as some houses of civilians who live in the Gulf countries on the pretext of participant in Golf military campaign.
- More than 20 people from “Alansar troop” members in the western countryside of Deir Ezzor were arrested on charges of smuggling food to the besieged neighborhoods and smuggling civilians across the river crossings.
- A number of young men in the eastern countryside of Deir Ezzor, who were former members of the Free Army, were arrested despite having already declared their repentance.
- Curfew was imposed in the city of Deir Ezzor.
- Alsayad restaurant in the eastern city of Mayadeen was closed by two of IS members on the pretext that it offers rotten meat.
- IS established a prison in the town of Alsabha east of Deir Ezzor. The prison is a two store building that had been seized from a civilian.
- Pedestrian bridge that connects Almayadeen city with Alhawayej town was demolished.
- Women legitimacy armors were seized of women on the grounds that they are illegal.
- Shop owners were informed of the arrival of a new shipment of the Sharia costumes, and the need to change the type of veil from one layer to four layers to comply with the Islamic law.
- Red Crescent was shut down in the city of Abu Kamal, which is the last medical team working in the region.
- A decision was issued accusing with “apostasy” anyone who goes to regime areas or works there.
- Alsaed hospital in the city of Almayadeen was seized, accusing the owner of apostasy.
- Civilians who were trying to enter food to AlJura neighborhood were shot between dead and wounded.
- Fines of up to 3,500 SP as a “security and sanitation tax” were imposed on the shops in the western countryside of Abu Kamal, depending on the type of goods sold by each store.
- Azidiah captive committed suicide in an IS immigrant house in Al Mohssen.
- More than seventy people from Deir Ezzor were executed on various charges, including joining the FSA or JAN, ,being an apostate, working for the regime or affiliation with the international coalition.
- Women under the age of forty were prevented from leaving Deir Ezzor under any excuse.
- Dozens of civilians in the countryside Deir Ezzor were arrested on various charges, mostly for not paying zakat on wheat, smoking, or not wearing the legitimate clothing imposed by IS.
- A group of children in the countryside of Abu Kamal were recruited and transferred directly to the camps.
- Farmers were arrested in Aljeneina in the western countryside of Deir Ezzor on the pretext of entering food to Aljura neighborhood to help people.
- A number of properties and houses of Alhajeen citizens in Deir Ezzor were seized on the pretext of affiliation to Bahraini army.
- A woman in the city of Abu Kamal was stoned on the charge of adultery.
- IS executed a number of donkeys in the western countryside to prevent using them in smuggling to Aljura neighborhood, and a number of dogs to prevent their barking at night during IS raids on the homes.
- A number of female harvest workers were arrested in several areas for taking off veils because of high temperature, focusing on married women and punishing their guardians.
- A group of the revolutionary movement organizers in Almayadeen in countryside were arrested, and inspected about the names of people who destroyed “Hafez al-Assad” statue.
- IS displaced every unmarried person, giving their seized houses to IS members and families.
- Executing more than 20 civilians and crucifying them after death in Deir Ezzor countryside on various charges; such as spying for the regime or affiliation with the international coalition or stealing.
- Cutting the power from every home that does not pay a monthly fee of 3000 Syrian Pounds to the treasury in Tayyaneh in the eastern countryside.
- Lashing a young man in Hajeen in the eastern countryside because he sat with his wife in one of the orchards near their home.
- Lashing a receptionist in a private medical clinic in the city of Abu Kamal based on charges of having men and women sitting together in patients reception hall.
- Executing ten people from Al-Shaitat clan in Dier Ezzor eastern countryside near the tin field.
- Arresting dozens of civilians in the city and its countryside for the non-payment of zakat for wheat, smoking, smuggling food to besieged areas or escaping the Sharia sessions.
- Enrolling all the regime military defectors in sixty day Sharia sessions.
- Imposing of a fine of fifteen thousand Syrian pounds on each person with a shaved “beard”.
- forcing two women from Hajeen city in the eastern countryside to buy a Sharia Costume on the pretext that their dress is inappropriate according to Sharia.
- Imposing a curfew on women during the month of Ramadan.
- Arresting a woman in Mayadeen city east of Deir Ezzor for not wearing the proper Sharia costume.
- Expropriating the property “Abu Abdullah al-Shami” the ex-prince of Ahrar Al-Sham movement in the countryside of western Deir Ezzor.
The killing scenario adapted by IS is still distorting humanity and conquering civilians in areas under its control.